Use Of Conjunctions In English Grammar | TNPSC Exam Study Notes
First of all, we should know what is Conjunction?
- Connect + Junction= Conjunction.Conjunction is a word.It joins two words, two sentences and two clauses.
What’s the use of Conjunctions in English Grammar?
- Conjunction works like a connector.If it is necessary, it can extend the sentence or it can compress the sentence.So these are used to minimize or maximize the language.
Some of the Conjunctions:
- Birds fly and fish swim.
- He is slow but he is sure.
- Unless you go there ,you don’t know what has happened there.
- Although she is not beautiful, she wants to be a film star.
- Is there still raining?
- The train had left before we reached the railway station.
Kinds of Conjunction:
Conjunctions are divided into four kinds, namely:
- Correlative Conjunctions.
- Compound Conjunctions.
- Co-ordinating Conjunctions.
- Subordinate Conjunctions.
1. Correlative Conjunctions:
|either – or||such – that|
|Neither – nor||as-as|
|Both –and||as – so|
|Though – yet||so—that|
|Whether – or||hardly – when|
|Not only –but also||scarcely – when|
|Such – as||no sooner – than|
- Madhavi is either a typist or a teacher.[It means Madhavi is doing two jobs parallely one is Typist andTeacher].
- She can speak neither English nor Hindi.[It means she cannot speak English and Hindi].
- He is both handsome and clever.
- Though he tried to convince his boss,[yet] she was not happy with his words.
- I don’t know whether she will marry him or continue her studies. [Here, whether expresses doubt].
- He not only wrote song but also sang it.[Here ,this conjunction denotes he wrote the song and he himself sang the song].
- I read such books as Oxford Encyclopedia and Cambrige English Grammar to improve my knowledge.
- Vijay is as clever as Ajay.[ Here as-as denotes vijay and Ajay are clevers].
- As you work, so the result is.[ Here, As-so denotes our capability that is how we work that decides our success].
- He went to Agra so that he might see TajMahal.
- I had hardly reached home when the phone began ringing. [ In this sentence, hardly reveals that by the time he reached home, he is too tired].
- She had scarcely returned home when someone knocked at the door. [Here also scarcely gives almost same meaning like hardly that she has just reached home].
- we had no sooner started for Hyderabad than our uncle arrived. [In this sentence, no sooner denotes that They are about go to Hyd but by that time their uncle arrived].
|in order that||as though|
|On condition that||in as much as|
|Even if||as well as|
|So that||as soon as|
|Provided that||as if|
- He applied for a job in order that he might help his parents.
- I can lend you the money on condition that you return it in a month.
- Even if she is beautiful, I won’t marry her.
- He saved some money so that he might use it in future.
- She appears as though she were a film star.[ Here, She is not a film star but she appears like that].
- Madhavi, as well as her friend, is beautiful. [ It means both are beautiful].
- As soon as I read the books of Dr.APJ Kalam , I became a big fan of him.[It means very soon I became a fan].
- She spoke impressively at the meeting and won the appreciation of all.
- I offered to help her but she refused my help.
- I must try hard for there is heavy competition.
- He is not my friend nor my relative.
- You must begin the work today or you will not finish it in time. [Here, or denotes if you don’t start the work, you cannot complete the work].
Conjunctions which are used to join clauses ofunequal rank are known as Subordinating Cinjunctions.
He came after I had finished my work.
- In this sentence two actions done in past.we should carefully pause the sentence otherwise it changes the meaning.
This sentence gives two meanings.
- He came, after I had finished my work. [ It means first I finished my work later he came].
- He came after ,I had finished my work. [ It means first he came later I completed my work].
- She was sad because she lost her job.
- If you permit me, I will come there.
- We believe that Swami Vivekananda was a genius.
- Although you are rich, you cannot do everything.
- Though he is great ,he is humble.
- Wait there till I call you.
- Do as I tell you.
- My brother had got job before he got married. [It means first my brother got job,later he got marriage]. before conjunction not only connects the sentences but also denotes which action is done first ,which is done next.
- Please stay where you are.
- She is Watching TV while I am reading.
- She wrote the exam better than I expected.
So, these are the types of conjunctions and their usage.Having awareness about these conjunctions we can connect the sentences effectively.
TNPSC EXAM Subject Wise Online Test
TNPSC GROUP 2A COMPLETE MATERIALS + ONLINE TEST + VIDEOS + CURRENT AFFAIRS
TN Police Materials TET Paper II Science TET Paper II Social Science Group 2A Materials TNPSC CCSE 4 Exam Course TNPSC Group VIII Course Pack TNPSC Assistant Jailor Tamil Video Course