SSC JE Exam Syllabus 2018 PDF Download
SSC JE Exam Syllabus 2018
SSC JE Syllabus 2018: Staff Selection Commission (SSC) will release the syllabus for both papers of Junior Engineer 2018 examination. The SSC JE syllabus 2018 will help the candidates to know all the topics that should be covered by them while preparing for the examination. Candidates appearing for the exam should also be aware of the paper pattern along with the syllabus to understand the details of the question paper. As per the exam pattern of SSC JE, Paper 1 of SSC JE will consist of questions from General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, and General Engineering. According to the SSC JE Syllabus 2018, General Intelligence & Reasoning includes topic of both verbal and non-verbal type and General Awareness comprises of topics that aims to test candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him/her and its application to society. The paper 2 of SSC JE with detailed subjective questions respective to engineering disciplines. The detailed SSC JE 2018 syllabus and exam pattern has been provided on this page. Candidates should strictly follow the syllabus for better exam preparation and good marks. Read the complete article for all details of SSC JE syllabus 2018 and paper pattern.
SSC JE 2018 Highlights
|Total number of paper||2 (Paper 1 and 2)|
|Total marks of exam||
|Nature of questions||Paper 1: Objective type Paper 2: Conventional type|
|Topics in SSC JE syllabus||Verbal & Non-verbal topic in General Intelligence & Reasoning, General awareness includes topics from varied discipline while engineering papers carries topics of diploma level|
SSC JE Syllabus 2018 – Subject and Paper Wise Syllabus details
|S. No.||Subject||Detailed Syllabus|
|1||General Intelligence & Reasoning||The test may include questions on analogies, similarities, differences, space visualization, problem solving, analysis, judgment, decision making, visual memory, discrimination, observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning, verbal and figure classification, arithmetical number series etc. The test will also include questions designed to test the candidate’s abilities to deal with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationships, arithmetical computations and other analytical functions.|
|2||General Awareness||The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Polity and Scientific Research, etc. These questions will be such that they do not require a special study of any discipline.|
|3||General Engineering (Civil and Structural), (Electrical & Mechanical)||Part-A: Civil Engineering
Building Materials, Estimating, Costing and Valuation, Surveying, Soil Mechanics, Hydraulics, Irrigation Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Environmental Engineering. Structural Engineering: Theory of Structures, Concrete Technology, RCC Design, Steel Design.
|Part-B: Electrical Engineering
Basic concepts, Circuit law, Magnetic Circuit, AC Fundamentals, Measurement and Measuring instruments, Electrical Machines, Fractional Kilowatt Motors and single phase induction Motors, Synchronous Machines, Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Estimation and Costing, Utilization and Electrical Energy, Basic Electronics.
|Part C: Mechanical Engineering
Theory of Machines and Machine Design, Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials, Properties of Pure Substances, 1st Law of Thermodynamics, 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, Air standard Cycles for IC Engines, IC Engine Performance, IC Engines Combustion, IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication, Rankine cycle of System, Boilers, Classification, Specification, Fitting & Accessories, Air Compressors & their cycles, Refrigeration cycles, Principle of Refrigeration Plant, Nozzles & Steam Turbines. Properties & Classification of Fluids, Fluid Statics, Measurement of Fluid Pressure, Fluid kinematics, Dynamics of Ideal fluids, Measurement of Flow rate, basic principles, Hydraulic Turbines, Centrifugal Pumps, Classification of steels.
SSC JE Syllabus 2018 Paper 2
Part B – Civil & Structural Engineering
- Building Materials: Physical and Chemical properties, classification, standard tests, uses and manufacture/quarrying of materials e.g. building stones, silicate based materials, cement (Portland), asbestos products, timber and wood based products, laminates, bituminous materials, paints, varnishes.
- Estimating, Costing and Valuation: estimate, glossary of technical terms, analysis of rates, methods and unit of measurement, Items of work – earthwork, Brick work (Modular & Traditional bricks), RCC work, Shuttering, Timber work, Painting, Flooring, Plastering. Boundary wall, Brick building, Water Tank, Septic tank, Bar bending schedule, Centre line method, Mid-section formula, Trapezodial formula, Simpson’s rule. Cost estimate of Septic tank, flexible pavements, Tube well, isolates and combined footings, Steel Truss, Piles and pile-caps. Valuation – Value and cost, scrap value, salvage value, assessed value, sinking fund, depreciation and obsolescence, methods of valuation.
- Surveying: Principles of surveying, measurement of distance, chain surveying, working of prismatic compass, compass traversing, bearings, local attraction, plane table surveying, theodolite traversing, adjustment of theodolite, Levelling, Definition of terms used in levelling, contouring, curvature and refraction corrections, temporary and permanent adjustments of dumpy level, methods of contouring, uses of contour map, tachometric survey, curve setting, earth work calculation, advanced surveying equipment.
- Soil Mechanics: Origin of soil, phase diagram, Definitions-void ratio, porosity, degree of saturation, water content, specific gravity of soil grains, unit weights, density index and interrelationship of different parameters, Grain size distribution curves and their uses. Index properties of soils, Atterberg’s limits, ISI soil classification and plasticity chart. Permeability of soil, coefficient of permeability, determination of coefficient of 12 permeability, Unconfined and confined aquifers, effective stress, quick sand, consolidation of soils, Principles of consolidation, degree of consolidation, pre-consolidation pressure, normally consolidated soil, e-log p curve, computation of ultimate settlement. Shear strength of soils, direct shear test, Vane shear test, Triaxial test. Soil compaction, Laboratory compaction test, Maximum dry density and optimum moisture content, earth pressure theories, active and passive earth pressures, Bearing capacity of soils, plate load test, standard penetration test.
- Hydraulics: Fluid properties, hydrostatics, measurements of flow, Bernoulli’s theorem and its application, flow through pipes, flow in open channels, weirs, flumes, spillways, pumps and turbines.
- Irrigation Engineering: Definition, necessity, benefits, effects of irrigation, types and methods of irrigation, Hydrology – Measurement of rainfall, run off coefficient, rain gauge, losses from precipitation – evaporation, infiltration, etc. Water requirement of crops, duty, delta and base period, Kharif and Rabi Crops, Command area, Time factor, Crop ratio, Overlap allowance, Irrigation efficiencies. Different type of canals, types of canal irrigation, loss of water in canals. Canal lining – types and advantages. Shallow and deep to wells, yield from a well. Weir and barrage, Failure of weirs and permeable foundation, Slit and Scour, Kennedy’s theory of critical velocity. Lacey’s theory of uniform flow. Definition of flood, causes and effects, methods of flood control, water logging, preventive measure. Land reclamation, Characteristics of affecting fertility of soils, purposes, methods, description of land and reclamation processes. Major irrigation projects in India.
- Transportation Engineering: Highway Engineering – cross sectional elements, geometric design, types of pavements, pavement materials – aggregates and bitumen, different tests, Design of flexible and rigid pavements – Water Bound Macadam (WBM) and Wet Mix Macadam (WMM), Gravel Road, Bituminous construction, Rigid pavement joint, pavement maintenance, Highway drainage, Railway Engineering- Components of permanent way – sleepers, ballast, fixtures and fastening, track geometry, points and crossings, track junction, stations and yards. Traffic Engineering – Different traffic survey, speed-flow-density and their interrelationships, intersections and interchanges, traffic signals, traffic operation, traffic signs and markings, road safety.
- Environmental Engineering: Quality of water, source of water supply, purification of water, distribution of water, need of sanitation, sewerage systems, circular sewer, oval sewer, sewer appurtenances, sewage treatments. Surface water drainage. Solid waste management – types, effects, engineered management system. Air pollution – pollutants, causes, effects, control. Noise pollution – cause, health effects, control.
Part B – Electrical Engineering
- Basic Concepts: Concepts of resistance, inductance, capacitance, and various factors affecting them. Concepts of current, voltage, power, energy and their units.
- Circuit Law: Kirchhoff’s law, Simple Circuit solution using network theorems.
- Magnetic Circuit: Concepts of flux, mmf, reluctance, Different kinds of magnetic materials, Magnetic calculations for conductors of different configuration e.g. straight, circular, solenoid, etc. Electromagnetic induction, self and mutual induction.
- AC Fundamentals: Instantaneous, peak, R.M.S. and average values of alternating waves, Representation of sinusoidal wave form, simple series and parallel AC Circuits consisting of R.L. and C, Resonance, Tank Circuit. Poly Phase system – star and delta connection, 3 phase power, DC and sinusoidal response of R-Land R-C circuit.
- Measurement & Measuring Instruments: Measurement of power (1 phase and 3 phase, both active and re-active) and energy, 2 wattmeter method of 3 phase power measurement. Measurement of frequency and phase angle. Ammeter and voltmeter (both moving oil and moving iron type), extension of range wattmeter, Multimeters, Megger, Energy meter AC Bridges. Use of CRO, Signal Generator, CT, PT and their uses. Earth Fault detection.
Part C – Mechanical Engineering
- Theory of Machines and Machine Design: Concept of simple machine, Four bar linkage and link motion, Flywheels and fluctuation of energy, Power transmission by belts – V-belts and Flat belts, Clutches – Plate and Conical clutch, Gears – Type of gears, gear profile and gear ratio calculation, Governors – Principles and classification, Riveted joint, Cams, Bearings, Friction in collars and pivots.
- Engineering Mechanics & Strength of Materials: Equilibrium of Forces, Law of motion, Friction, Concepts of stress and strain, Elastic limit and elastic constants, Bending moments and shear force diagram, Stress in composite bars, Torsion of circular shafts, Bucking of columns – Euler’s and Rankin’s theories, Thin walled pressure vessels.
- Thermal Engineering: Properties of Pure Substances P-V & P-T diagrams of pure substance like H2O, Introduction of steam table with respect to steam generation process; definition of saturation, wet & superheated status. Definition of dryness fraction of steam, degree of superheat of steam. H-S chart of steam (Mollier Chart).
- Properties & Classification of Fluid: ideal & real fluids, Newton’s law of viscosity, Newtonian and Non-Newtonian fluids, compressible and incompressible fluids.
- Fluid Statics: Pressure at a point. Measurement of Fluid
- Pressure: Manometers, U-tube, Inclined tube.
- Fluid Kinematics: Stream line, laminar & turbulent flow, external & internal flow, continuity equation.
- Dynamics of Ideal Fluids: Bernoulli’s equation, Total head; Velocity head; Pressure head; Application of Bernoulli’s equitation.
- Centrifugal Pumps: Classifications, Principles, Performance.
- Production Engineering Classification of Steels: Mild steal & alloy steel, Heat treatment of steel, Welding – Arc Welding, Gas Welding, Resistance Welding, Special Welding Techniques i.e. TIG, MIG, etc. (Brazing & Soldering), Welding Defects & Testing; NDT, Foundry & Casting – methods, defects, different casting processes.
TNPSC CCSE IV EXAM Study Time Table
TNPSC CCSE IV EXAM All Study Materials
TNPSC CCSE IV COMPLETE MATERIALS + ONLINE TEST + VIDEOS + CURRENT AFFAIRS
TNPSC GROUP 2A COMPLETE MATERIALS + ONLINE TEST + VIDEOS + CURRENT AFFAIRS
TN Police Materials TET Paper II Science TET Paper II Social Science Group 2A Materials TNPSC CCSE 4 Exam Course TNPSC Group VIII Course Pack TNPSC Assistant Jailor Tamil Video Course