Osmosis in Animal Cells & Plant Cells | Study Material
Osmosis in Animal Cells
- As you will remember animal cells have partially permeable cell membrane. This means that if they are placed in pure water because their cytoplasm is a stronger solution than the pure water, water will pass into the cells by osmosis. The cells will therefore swell up. However animal cells have no cell wall to stop them swelling too much so they keep swelling until they burst. We call this haemolysis.
Osmosis in plant cells
- Osmosis is the way in which plants take up water. This is how. Root hairs of the plant take in water from the soil by osmosis. The cell membrane of the root hair cell acts a partially permeable membrane (the cell wall is fully permeable) and because the cell sap inside the vacuole is a strong solution (low water concentration) water passes from the soil (high water concentration) into the root hair cell by osmosis. The concentration of the sap in the vacuole is now weaker as there is a high concentration of water. Water will now pass from this area of high concentration to the next cell which has a low water concentration by osmosis. In this way water continues to move along the cells of the root up the xylem to the leaf. all the time water is moving to areas of lower water concentration
- As water enters plant cells it makes the cell swell up. The water moves into the plant cell vacuole and pushes against the cell wall. Eventually the cell contains as much water as it can hold. The strong cell wall stops the cell bursting. We say that cell is turgid. Turgid cells are useful implants as the give the plant support as they keep the stems of plants upright.
- When plants are placed into a strong sugar or salts solution water will pass out of the cells by osmosis. As water passes out, the sap vacuole starts to shrink. These cells are no longer firm they are limp. We say that they are flaccid and the plant will wilt.
- If a lot of water leaves the cells then the cytoplasm starts to peel away from the cell wall. We say that the cell has undergone plasmolysis.
To Join Telegram Channel
அரசுத் தேர்வில் எளிமையாகக் கற்க மற்றும் 100% வெற்றி பெற வேண்டுமா ?
இதோ மாணவனின் TNPSC Course Pack....
இந்த Course Pack – ல் அடங்குபவை
மாணவனின் பாடக்குறிப்புக்களின் சிறப்புக்கூறுகள்:
- பாடம் வாரியான பாடக்குறிப்புகள் (Subject Wise Study Materials)
- வினா விடை (300 Online Test)
- தமிழ் இலக்கணம் வீடியோ (Tamil Ilakkanam Videos)
- கணிதம் வீடியோ (Maths Videos)
- நடப்பு நிகழ்வுகள் (Current Affairs)
- சமச்சீர்கல்வி பாட குறிப்புகள்
- பாடம் வாரியாக வீடியோ குறிப்புகள்
- 2000 பக்கமுடைய PDF பாடக்குறிப்புகள்
To Join Telegram Channel